I was able to squeeze some recording time for Episode 28 in my full calendar now that school has started up again. In this episode I talk a lot! This month we’ve got our graduating class and we’re preparing for a new read/knit along that starts October 1. I announce prize winners for August and then chat about what’s been going on in my life, the knitting projects I’ve been working on, and the audiobooks I’ve been listening to. When we get into the classroom, I cover some interesting research about human aesthetic preferences like preferences for colors, shapes, and spatial structure.
Welcome to both new and returning listeners! I invite you to join our fabulous Ravelry group so you can participate in all the activities and contests and be eligible for prizes. I welcome your feedback — you can post comments here on the blog or in our Ravelry group. You can also send me email on Ravelry or regular email. It would be great if you sent me a card or letter via snail mail. All of my contact information can be found on this site; click on the “About” tab at the top of the page.
This podcast is sponsored by Etsy shops Halcyarn Knitting Accessories and Hansen Hand Dyes. Thank you so much to both sponsors! Listeners’ support of these sponsors is truly appreciated, and through them you are supporting this podcast and making it possible.
You can subscribe to the show on iTunes or you can listen on the audio player below.
Listen to the Show:
Reminders and Announcements
- Post pictures of finished objects that have graduated off the needles in our September Graduating Class thread on Ravelry.
- In October we’re doing the Anomalous and Spooky KRAL (knit- and read-along). I will try to remember to open new threads in our Ravelry group to discuss book suggestions and pattern ideas. I talk about some of these in this episode.
Awards and Scholarships
- KANSANATHEART (Esther from Florida) — Post #4
- KNITSNPEARLSGAL (Michelle from Wisconsin) — Post #75
Podiversary Prize Giveaway Winners
- SARAPOMEGRANATE (Sara from Pennsylvania) — Post #20
- AJANEKNITS (Jane from Canada) — Post #27
Congratulations to all winners — PM me on Ravelry and I will get your prizes out to you asap. Thank you to everyone who participated!
School started last week, so that has been consuming much of my time lately. The semester is off to a good start, despite my procrastinating. 🙂 The weather has been sweltering, ugh! This week is our annual town festival here in Monmouth, and it’s called the Prime Beef Festival. The parade was today, and I always enjoy that. I talk about snail mail news, including beautiful postage stamps available at the post office — you should check them out at your local post office. I also chat about the Timber Ridge Knitting Retreat, which was on August 23, and the upcoming Bishop Hill Spin-In on October 18.
The Academic Status of My Knitting Projects
Graduated: Plain Vanilla Socks in Hand Dyed Yarn
- Pattern is Plain Vanilla Socks by Keri McKiernan
- Yarn is 100% superwash merino that I hand dyed
- Needles are US size 1 (2.2mm)
Freshman: Outlander Mystery KAL with Jimmy Beans Wool group on Ravelry
- Pattern is Outlander MKAL by Rachel Roden
- Yarn is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sport, 100% superwash merino in Beauchamps and Fraser colorways
- Needles are US size 5 (3.75mm)
At the Library
I’ve finished listening to two audiobooks since the last episode:
- Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach
- Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen
In the Classroom
The study of human aesthetic preferences is one of the oldest topics in psychology, dating back to 1876. I talk about some recent research on questions such as:
- What is the most preferred color by adults?
- What is the least preferred color?
- What is the most preferred shape?
- What are some characteristics of liked physical structures?
Listen to the show to find out more!